Monday, April 16, 2007

A Day of Reflection

Today is a sad day and my heart goes out to the families of the victims at Virginia Tech. I probably wouldn't have known about it had my friend not pointed to the TV headlines during our play date lunch. (I tend to not watch the news) The Princess must have gotten some weird vibe, because she was absolutely out of control. She was crying and screaming before I even got to order our food...so I had to bid adieu to my friends and hers (quickly, noisily and embarassingly). To continue on with such a somber day, I thought I'd talk about something semi-serious that happened to me.

Last week, something relatively frightening (but not even close to the above incident) happened to me at Blockbuster Video. The Princess, JR. Peanut, and I were getting into the car after picking up a couple of videos. I did what I always do--I open the door for The Princess and tell her to climb up into her car seat while I strap JR. Peanut into his carseat. As The Princess was putting on the straps to her seatbelt with the door open and I was on the other side of the car, I heard a shuffling. A Transient (a.k.a homeless man) appeared at the Princess' door and asked me for some money. He was actually between the door and The Princess!!! Luckily, he left after I said I didn't have any, but can you imagine?

What if the Transient was hostile or some punk car jacker? He could have taken or harmed The Princess or jumped into the car and taken it. Now, I don't know what to do. Leaving the door open on her side and having her climb in was the quickest and easiest way for me to get both kids in the car. Does anyone have an easier way or another suggestion to load them into an SUV (I'm still holding out on the Mini Van)? I feel like we (moms) are ,targets these days because we pay attention more to our kids than what's going on around us. I know another mom that had her car broken into because her diaper bag was sitting in the front seat while she was in the library. I guess people are starting to take diaper bags now, because we often use them as purses. As if I don't have other things to worry about. The world just doesn't seem as safe as it was when I was growing up.

4 comments:

Butrfly Garden said...

Here are some tips I ALWAYS follow:
* I always try to park next to the cart corral. I like to get it on my driver's side, but I'll take passenger. Even if I have to walk more (better for you anyway)
* And never park next to vans (at least on the side of the sliding door).
* Don't ever leave valuables in your car.
* Always have your keys ready, in your hand before you leave the building.

Criminals depend on the victims not being aware.

As for the kids, I would stand with her until she's IN the vehicle, shut the door and let her buckle herself or whatever while you put JRP in his seat. It's just going to take an extra minute or so every time you get in the car. Really, what's a few minutes a week for safety? You could spend that time scanning the parking lot, too.

Haha...Do I sound paranoid?? These things, I'm just so used to doing them, it's like second nature. I'm bad about sitting in my car, though. My car auto-locks as soon as its in gear, but I tend to sit there before the doors are locked. Better start paying attention to that more.

That's what really gets you about it, is that bad stuff happens to good people. All the time. In fact, bad stuff RARELY happens to bad people. I don't know why. On the radio today, a girl was talking about how her sister had a friend who called her and said "Something's going on, don't go to class." (At VT) She didn't go. Her class was the one attacked. One small decision can change your world forever, you know? That's just why you gotta live for the moment and enjoy what you have...and make good decisions.

:) SO. Sorry.

This is the last I will talk about this today...I fought tears the entire way to work. Now it's out of my system.

Brillig said...

Your ideas are good ones, Butrfly. We could all stand to be a little more aware, I'm sure.

Is it scarier now? Or is it just that we're moms now? Was it always scary? Probably a little bit of both, I guess. Anyway, good post. It got me thinking.

Jackie said...

That is scary. Thanks for sharing, though because it's made me more aware.
Like butrfly, a lot of the time (but not always, which I guess I should do) I have my daughter climb in, close her door, go strap my son in, and then go back and buckle my daughter. It's a pain in the butt but I guess probably worth it.

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

That's scary.
Great suggestions, butrfly4404!