Friday, March 23, 2007

Mommy Underachiever

We went to play group today. Sometimes play group makes me feel like a bad mom.

The woman that hosted has two kids and she's a great mom. She's one of those moms that only buys organic food for her and her family. It made me think...am I a bad mother because I don't do my grocery shopping exclusively at Whole Foods or Trader Joes? The only organic stuff I buy are the organic brands that they have at Costco. (If I'm being honest--I really only by organic milk) Oh yeah, I forgot that I buy organic baby food -- but then they sell the stuff at Wal Mart and Target so it's convenient. Also, if I'm being honest (again) I really only buy it because my son prefers it over the non-organic Gerber stuff.

My friend also doesn't want to send her kids to public school. Hmm--I just can't justify spending that kind of money on compulsory schooling. Definitely for college but K thru 12? No. I'd really like to retire and spend time alone with my husband when my kids are grown instead working to pay off all the private schooling.

Does this make me the the type of mom that just doesn't care enough?

1 comment:

Butrfly Garden said...

If someone has the means and the time to, doing all that stuff is great. But it does not FOR ANY REASON mean that you aren't as good!

I bought the first organic thing EVER this weekend (I think it was the first). Anyway, they are Anne (or Annie?)'s Rabbit things like teddy grahams... They are cheaper and actually taste really good, too.